Monday, November 22, 2004

The nature of creativity -part 2

Part 1 was all about showing up. Showing up was a difficult thing for me to do once I left my parents house. Hermit by nature, when I figured out that nobody called me out in college class if I didn't show up, then I stopped doing it. Leaving my house always feels like I've failed that day because it's a day I haven't discovered the secret to truly wonderful living...aka being able to stay home all day and write.

Any way, 'nuf of Part 1. Part 2 is about brainstorming. It's about coming up with as many ideas as possible and putting them out there. Yes, I have been writing about this in previous blogs here and here, (what you haven't read my previous blogs? Quelle Suprise!) but I feel the time has come to push the envelop some more(not that the guest blogs from grandma oversoul weren't a bit fringy). Lately, I've taken to submitting comments to the Megabucks Industries suggestion box. I come up with an interesting idea, most likely one that I've been bitching about for the last 5 or so years and then write up a witty pitch for it, sign it and send it in. I've done two so far and I'm in the process of submitting a third. I think that when I send my forth idea in, perhaps someone will take notice.

The ideas principally focus how we at MI can cheaply improve our image. If I revealed our true name, you'd know how infamously sucky our reputation is...it's a wonder we're still in business. We just got a new CEO who's going to try to lead us to the shores of profitability so my thinking is the timing is ripe for new, outlandish ideas from someone outside their beltway. Even if my ideas are too out there, perhaps this will be a way to separate me from the pack and help me find a way around my dead-end career path without losing pay.

I'm trying to imagine our new CEO, freshly ensconced in his new MI office, wondering how long he'll have to stay to qualify for the executive pension. He's sitting there, knowing that stuff could go either way...he could preside over the greatest expansion of our company since UHF was hot stuff or he could be our executioner, ushering in our messy, untidy and ill-timed demise.

While deep in thought, all four of my suggestions will be placed on his desk...thoughtful, well-craft, cogent propositions with just the right hint of punch to get him to sit up and take notice.

"Gee Whiz", he'll think. "There's this gal down in the central office, well, she's in the wrong classification and all the things she's pitching are way too illegal to consider but hey, I like her style. I wanna get me some of that."

Next thing I know, I'll be asked to make the trip up to the home office where I'll be offered at no extra pay and in addition to my current duties, the opportunity and privilege to work with his transition team to pull Megabucks back from the jaws of defeat.

Of course if it all works out and Megabucks pulls through, I'll get 'ata girl credits in the company rag and qualify to get my name submitted for an achievement award. If I beat the odds and am singled out for my meritorious contribution, my prize...a small trophy with the words "thank you" engraved in it...will make me, if not my bank account, swell with pride. This is what the free enterprise system is all about....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home